Re: pkg-config including too much crap

"Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog@gmail.com> writes:

> On 4/4/06, Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> wrote:
>> "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Is there a way to get sane output from pkg-config or should I just
>> > parse the .pc file myself?
>>
>> The .pc file needs converting to use Libs.private for libraries which
>> are only indirect dependencies.
>
> Well, the thing is that the .pc doesn't list all those libraries, it's
> just that pkg-config is adding them. The .pc file looks like below.
> Apparently, pkg-config is following the "Requires" link and appending
> all those libs also. Perhaps that's supposed to be Requires.private.
> Of perhaps the Requires shouldn't be there at all.

I think there are two factors to consider here:

1. gtk+-2.0.pc does not use Libs.private.  This would clean up most of
   the libraries.  This is a GTK+ bug.

2. Even then, -lgtk-x11-2.0 still needs to come from the Requires, but
   should still be private.  For this, a Requires.private would be the
   best solution (but its Cflags should still remain public).  This
   needs implementing in pkg-config.

I've CC'd the pkg-config maintainer.

Regards,
Roger