Re: idea for project machines

On 2006-03-30, Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 03:28:42PM +0530, Ganesan Rajagopal wrote:
>> How about providing this access only in a Xen guest?
>
> We have vserver enabled kernels for some arches in the archive.

In fact all arches that we support (except for parisc/hppa until the
dietlibc-dev syscall fix is uploaded with the patch I submitted last
night: #351875).

However, I am curious how people are proposing to use something like
vservers for this purpose. Probably the best thing would be to allow
individual developers to "check out" new vservers. You would have the
option of picking a woody, sarge, etch, or sid vserver, and a period
of time that the vserver would stay around, after which it would be
scheduled for removal. If you had a vserver guest "checked out" on a
system, you could "renew" it, thus extending the time it will exist. A
simple email can be sent warning you of your vserver's pending removal
a few days before, and then after it has been removed.

Space may be a problem if too many vservers are "checked out" at one
time[1], so there would be some simple limits placed on disks (and
other resources) per verserver, and developers would not be able to
"check out" a vserver if a certain disk ceiling was currently in affect.

I imagine that this would be tremendously useful to developers as it
provides you with root access to an environment on an architecture to
develop and resolve packaging issues without having to wait on the
admin of the machine to install a package you need.

micah

1. space issues can be mitigated if the host is running etch because
the vhashify vserver ability to "unify" guests to save disk space by
performing link inversion immutability operations. The libbeecrypt6
problems were not fixed before sarge released, so this is currently
not possible on a sarge system