Re: Bruce Perens hosts party at OSCON Wednesday night

Paul Hedderly wrote:
> Will a new DPL be able to break through this barrier
> of arrogant selfish one-up-manship?

Unlikely.  The problem seems mostly an unavoidable
function of Debian's size.  Debian's experience appears
to support the earlier experience of others: that large
groups differ fundamentally in character from small
groups; that human society does not scale, even when we
wish that it might.  Such immutable facts of human
nature are not something any DPL can alter.

> Will all Debian devs ever be able to encourage and
> build each other up ... ?

Most do so now, in my experience.  However, this does
not invalidate your observation with regard to the main
Debian mailing lists.  You are right.

As a thought experiment, imagine debian-devel, if Debian
had ten times the number of Developers it has today, if
Debian were generally ten times the size.