Re: removal of svenl from the project

Filipus Klutiero <ido@vif.com> wrote:

Hi,

> Seriously, it's strange that you state that without
> explanation. dilinger started a process to expulse svenl.
> If the expulsion "suceeds", hopefully we'll be coherent and recognize
> dilinger for doing something good.
> But if it fails, does that make dilinger someone that harmed the
> Project beyond the limits?

You're missing the point, I'll explain.

When you start an expulsion process with such a poor rationale, it's
pretty obvious it's going to fail. 2 small IRC logs do not constitute
a rationale for starting this process. Starting an expulsion process
against someone working in the same team is a strong indication that
the problem isn't as important as an expulsion would warrant, and that
the said team just can't deal with its internal problems.

Fact is, quite a few people, including myself, are working with Sven
and have good relations with him, be it for Debian-related work or
not. He's indeed easier to deal with IRL, but that's not an excuse for
not trying harder to deal with him on the lists/IRC. DDs traditionally
have strong opinions on technical subjects, Sven is no exception.

Sven is very competent and knowledgeable, especially when it comes to
PowerPC. He is a valuable DD, and his expulsion would really be a loss
for the Project.

So, this expulsion process looks more like a good way to hurt Sven
than anything else. If it fails (hint: it will) Andres will be kind of
singled-out, and this whole thing will turn into "I can't bear this
guy, please kick him out".

In the meantime, we are wasting precious DD and DAM time to satisfy
Andres' need for a revenge on Sven.

The failure of this process means "we're not kicking Sven out, you'll
have to work together". Both Sven and Andres will have to cope with
that in whatever way, which may include leaving the Project.

My statement was expressing this: getting singled-out as Andres will
get once this process will have officially failed is a strong
indication that maybe, just maybe, you'd better leave now.

I consider this whole thing as a harsh and rude way to badly hurt
Sven, and he doesn't deserve that. He's the second DD to suffer from
this process, and at this point I am seriously considering a GR to
withdraw the whole expulsion process as decided by the DAMs. To date,
it has done more harm than good.

As someone else said, this expulsion request should not even have
passed the DAM.

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer - <jblache@debian.org>