Re: removal of svenl from the project

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 03:56:48PM +0100, Jorgen Schaefer wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 09:01:09PM -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am going through the expulsion process to have Sven Luther removed
> >> from the project.  The process is outlined here:
> >> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/08/msg00005.html>,
> >> and I have already completed step 1.
> >
> > Thanks very much Andres, this is really appreciated.
> >
> > /me leaves in disgust.
>
> Not being involved in the kernel team at all, I'd be rather
> interested in your point of view on this - seemingly severe -
> issue.
>
> Do you think you could share it?

I had decided to keep silent for the next few week to let matters settle, but
as you ask directly and i was pointer to your question, i will break that
resolution once, but please CC me privately in the future or something.

What Andres is reproaching me, is that i was too vocal in my disput with jonas
(and some previous disputes also with some others), and there he is right. I
was at a level of frustration which made me so irrational i used some (too)
strong words speaking to jonas and later vorlon. I notice though that jonas
called me names too previously, but i am trully baffled about the issue with
vorlon, since, maybe due to english not being my native tongue, it was
interpreted as badly, i meant that as mostly in a joking tone, altough i
failed to add a smiley or something (he was speaking about me and jonas, i
asked him a question about it and he left, so i said something like "bah,
coward", which i really really was not thinking could offend someone, and if
so i apologize for it).

I notice also, that if we are going to expulse people due to strong wordings,
i guess we should be expulsing half of debian, if not more.

Now, to the issue with jonas. I arrived at a level of frustration i seldom
reached on this issue, and it is all documented in the bug report #345067, the
last development being that jonas decided to close the bug (as requested by me
since the begining and even hinted at in november), without crediting the
crucial role i played in finding the reason for the bug, nobody before me, and
particularly not jonas whose job it was, did investigate the issue in the code
itself, they all prefered to resort to wild hypothesis and shuffling modules
around instead. I commented that this was not correct, which lead to Andres
asking for my removal.

Anyway, i am now in some personal problems (i learned friday that my mother
will probably die in the next 2 months) and i really don't have time or energy
to defend me or other such, so i will step back from debian activity and this
whole mess for some time, sad that it had come to that after 8 years of active
partiticipation, and will devote my time to my mother.

I am probabably not going to post on this issue anymore, all or most of the
fact are public, i think i tried to handle jonas as best i could, and every
morning i tried to contribute positively to the solution of this issue, until
it ended again in the same level of frustration due to jonas thigh-headedness.
This does not excuse my behaviour though, but i think i did much to solve this
issue in a good way, even though i didn't manage to stay calm and posed as i
know i should have. I apologize for the problems i caused everyone on this,
and hope you all good luck for the next time, and will try to contribute more
when things have settled some.

I also don't really think that the motion of expulsion will pass, as even
assufield didn't gather against him enough seconds for this to happen, and i
really don't think that i did worse than him, but that would be up to you all
to judge.

I resent Andres some, because he passed hasty judgement on this without even
caring to hear me out (sure he spoke with me, but it was an one-sided kind of
conversation), and i particularly resent him how he escalated this to the
world during the DPL debate.

Friendly,

Sven Luther