Re: versioned symbols in shared libraries (upstream != Debian)

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 01:25:21AM +0100, Christian Hammers wrote:
> Now MySQL finally closed my bug report to them and provides symbols
> in their upstream source. Sadly they look like:
>   0000f280 g    DF .text  0000000b  libmysqlclient_15 mysql_row_tell
>   0000f4d0 g    DF .text  00000043  libmysqlclient_15 mysql_escape_string
>   0000da30 g    DF .text  000000e1  libmysqlclient_15 mysql_slave_send_query

man... i'm not sure whether to laugh or scream :(

*2 YEARS AGO* you open a bug report saying they should do this, and
their response is "we don't plan to do this, you should only have
one version of mysql installed".

So then we do all the legwork to get versioned symbols working,
and send them a patch.  4 months later, they accept the patch,
but change it just enough to make it completely non-compatible
with what we've done in the meantime.  gee, thanks guys!

so this means we need to coordinate another transition, new binary
package names, etc, before we've even finished transitioning to
the previous package.  at least it happened before etch was
released...

	sean