Re: Problems found by piuparts

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:

> >> That's not sufficient, because /usr/local may be mounted ro, and
> >> therefore the command may fail even if the directory is empty.
> >>
> >> rmdir --ignore-fail-on-non-empty /usr/local/lib/foo || true
> >
> > So you're suggesting that it's better to fail silently instead of
> > failing loudly?
>
> Yes, please read Policy 9.1.2.

Hrm, right... it just seems totally wrong to me for the package to
create the directories and then not fail if removing them fails, since
presumably the removal could fail for reasons unrelated to /usr/local
being r/o. [Perhaps the ideal solution to resolve both of these issues
is to have the script complain bitterly if it can't remove the
directories and they exist, but not fail.]

Don Armstrong

--
If you wish to strive for peace of soul, then believe; if you wish to
be a devotee of truth, then inquire.