Re: May a package assume that builds are performed with root-like rights?

Daniel Schepler <schepler@math.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Here's a thought: how hard would it be to make TeX fall back to caching in a
> directory under the user's home directory (maybe $HOME/.fonts/texmf or so) if
> it can't write to /var/cache/fonts?

It would be extremely hard (at least 5 different shell scripts access
it, interact with each other, etc.), and difficult to handle when
upstream changes the scripts.  We can suggest it to upstream, but I
guess they should rather use the coding time to implement a sane caching
mechanism.

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster