Re: Bug#353277: ndiswrapper in main
- To: Robert Millan <email@example.com>
- Cc: Goswin von Brederlow <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Andres Salomon <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, Michael Poole <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Bug#353277: ndiswrapper in main
- From: Mike Hommey <email@example.com>
- Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:22:35 +0100
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20060219102235.GA2613@glandium.org>
- Mail-followup-to: Robert Millan <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Goswin von Brederlow <email@example.com>, Andres Salomon <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, Michael Poole <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <[🔎] 20060219101132.GB8611@aragorn>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <E1FA7r4-0006nb-Fp@spohr.debian.org> <[🔎] 20060217170028.GA3568@aragorn> <[🔎] firstname.lastname@example.org> <[🔎] 20060217224829.GA4691@aragorn> <[🔎] email@example.com> <[🔎] 20060218163637.GA682@glandium.org> <[🔎] 20060219101132.GB8611@aragorn>
On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 11:11:32AM +0100, Robert Millan <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 05:36:37PM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 05:04:54PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow
> > > The availability to do this is enough even if there are other
> > > (possibly better) ways to do the same. One free driver _in_ Debian and
> > > the package should stay in main.
> > >
> > > But does the cipe-source build or ship the windows driver for use with
> > > ndiswraper? I doubt that.
> > >
> > > Which means you need some software (even if it is free) from outside
> > > Debian for ndiswraper. That makes it contrib imho.
> > Are there any free MSWord files in main ? No ? Then please move
> > antiword and similar tools to contrib.
> You're turning this into non-sense. An NDIS wrapper is OBVIOUSLY for the
> exclussive purpose of using non-free Windows drivers. It is so obvious
> because nobody has written  free GPLed NDIS drivers. EVER. It has nothing
> to do with Wine and MSWord .
> So, stop throwing unrelated points to this matter. Just fix the bug. Move this
> to contrib, with all the other warez wrappers.
Some people obviously think that to qualify for main, there has to be
stuff in main that can be used with the program. Which I think is not
the point at all. If there were no MSWord file in main (which is not the
case, cf. my previous mail today), would we ask for antiword and friends
to be moved into contrib ?
The NDIS wrapper issue has nothing to do with the fact that there is no
NDIS driver in main.