Re: [Pbuilder-maint] Re: A bit of experience after having updated some packages to use pbuilder-test testsuite engine.

Hi,

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2006, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > I've checked out xnee, I've noticed that the info documentation was
> > not properly installed, and provided a patch. Looked over the BTS,
> > tried running, found the same error as bug 315736.
>
>  Curious of xnee, I installed it to try out too, I was hit by the same
>  error, launching in -v suggested the program was stopping after
>  "closing down while loop in async loop", I grepped for that in the
>  source and found it would exit after a variable (presumably the number
>  of events to record) would reach 0, this var being initialized to 100.
>
>  Try running:
>     xnee --record --mouse --keyboard --future-clients --out rec.xnl \
>         --100k-log
>  you should have room for more events.

Ok, thanks I tried.

I tried creating a test for ecawave boot/close sequence, but it is
difficult to create the test case and run the test case.  A testtool
really needs to react to UI updates rather than depend on a
predetermined timing. Also, it requires real-time trial-and-error to
create testsuites, which is bad.

>  I think that this program is a bit low-level for the tests you might
>  want to achieve, and it exposes various problems to the test suite that
>  are not very interesting: it has to follow strict timings, and might
>  not be able to replay what you did as fast as you want it to.
>    I've found dogtail[1] to be quite interesting, perhaps it is the good
>  layer for the integration of functional checks in your packages?

dogtail sounds more like the way to go, although it seems to require
the GUI apps to cooperate.

regards,
	junichi
--