Derivatives and the Version: field (Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu)

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 06:47:22PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> In any case, I want to note what has just happened here.  You received
> a clear, easily implemented, request about what would be a wonderful
> contribution, and which is (from the Debian perspective) entirely
> non-controversial.
>
> Your response was not to say "yes, great!" but rather to argue about
> whether these are things Debian should care about, and protest that
> they are not valuable and take too much work.

What I saw was that a discussion with a practical point (treatment of the
Maintainer field) was sidetracked because you started to focus on the
Version field instead, and I asked you to justify your concern.

Furthermore, regardless of whether you think it is easy, a global change of
the Version field is not something that I can even consider making in the
middle of our short release cycle, so it really isn't much of a priority at
this time.

The Maintainer field is something that I may be able to do something about,
and I'm awaiting the results of Jeroen's poll on that.

--
 - mdz