Re: Backports

Norbert Tretkowski <norbert@tretkowski.de> wrote:

> * Andreas Schuldei wrote:
>> * Norbert Tretkowski <norbert@tretkowski.de> [2006-01-19 17:02:03]:
>> >
>> > No.
>>
>> i remember a conversation where you pointed out some principal
>> problems (security support, manpower) but in general were in favour
>> of the idea and prefered fixing those. what happend?
>
> Manpower is no longer a problem, thanks to Ganneff we're now using
> dak, which means every Debian developer can upload his packages (but I
> still need to manually add his gpg key to the backports.org keyring).
>
> A while back, I talked with Joey about the required infrastructure to
> provide security advisories, but until now I had no time to implement
> it.

The answer also depends on the understanding of "officially supported".
By definition, backports are not part of a release and can never get the
same level of support as a stable release gets, like upgrade tests (we
already don't support upgrades from n-2 to n, we'll never be able to
promise an upgrade path for arbitrary combinations of stable+backports).

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)