Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

On 1/18/06, Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 11:04, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > On 1/18/06, Mike Bird <mgb-debian@yosemite.net> wrote:
> > > What please is the difference between a buildX package and all the
> > > other packages that were rebuilt without the buildX annotation?
> >
> > It is quite similar to what debian calls a binary NMU, but developers
> > do not need wanna-build access to that. Instead, they upload a new
> > .dsc and .diff.gz, which gets accepted by katie as new package upload.
> >
> > These kind of uploads are necessary during transitions, e.g. when a
> > package has been built against an older library but needs to be
> > rebuilt with an newer one.
>
> Not sure what your first "It" refers to.  When there's a library
> transition, does the package get a new version in Ubuntu like it
> would in Debian?

That depends. If there are any changes outside from debian/changelog
needed to get the package built on the buildds, then we have to
introduce the 'ubuntuX' suffix in the version string. The point of
this is to prevent autosyncs when the next version in debian appears.
If no changes are necessary, then a 'buildX' suffix is appended if and
only if there is no 'ubuntuX' suffix yet. The advantage in this case
is that the package will be autosynced on the next debian upload. (if
there already is an 'ubuntu' suffix, it is just increased, in that
case, we don't want autosyncs anyway).

> If yes, why do some Ubuntu packages have the
> same version as Debian when Ubuntu is using different libraries
> than Debian?

Ubuntu source packages which have the same version number as the
debian sourcepackage are identical (i.e. have the same md5 sums) [0].
Since every ubuntu binary package is built in ubuntu chroots it does
happen that the binary package ends with different binary dependencies
than it would have in a debian chroot.

Does this answer your question?

[0] There is a cornercase when ubuntu introduced a new upstream
version before debian did and the debian maintainer uploads an
orig.tar.gz with an different md5 sum. This is a situation which
really should be avoided wherever possible (and is very seldom
anyway).

--
regards,
    Reinhard