Re: [ad-hominem construct deleted]

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 09:41:58AM +0100, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 January 2006 00:39, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > Given that you saw this on a wiki page, a disclaimer about wiki contents
> > should be implicit.  However, regardless of whether it's an accurate
> > quote, it's quite clear to me from context that your interpretation
> > doesn't match the text.
> >
> > The full quote is "We sync our packages to Debian regularly, because that
> > introduces the latest work, the latest upstream code, and the newest
> > packaging efforts from a huge and competent open source community.
> > Without Debian, Ubuntu would not be possible."  It should be obvious from
> > the remainder of the sentence that it is talking about propagation of
> > changes *from* Debian *to* Ubuntu.
>
> syncinc _to_ debian implies that changes are _pushed_ to Debian regularly,
> whereas in actuallity they're simply made available for pull by Debian (in
> most cases)

It's meant to be shorthand for "syncing [the package in Ubuntu] to
[match the version in] Debian", or similar; I've certainly used the same
colloquial shorthand in bug reports and such without realising that it
could be confusing if stripped of all its context. Although, like Matt,
I do think that the context (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarkShuttleworth,
near the bottom) clarifies the meaning, I agree it's not the best
phrasing and for grammatical reasons should be changed to "synced from
Debian".

Matt has already said he'll ask for this to be changed (it's on Mark's
personal wiki page, so changing it directly would be a bit rude), so
hopefully we can stop going round in circles on this one.

Cheers,