Re: Does it sometimes happen that people send mails before NMU ?

On Monday 16 January 2006 10:41, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:31:10PM -0800, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
> > Well, no, but the fact that it's a longstanding release-critical bug,
> > with no maintainer response, means that it does warrant NMUer attention.

> Yes, it's my fault i didn't tag the bug or sent any feedback, but I'm
> actually trying to find a better solution than removing the files, with
> upstream cooperation, considering that upstream adds new testcases quite
> often, and that any addition is likely to have the same problem.

The correct action in this case would have been CC: this cooperation with
upstream to bugnumber@bugs.debian.org. If you are not mailing BTS to tell
what you are doing/planning to do with the bug, you can hardly blame the
NMUer for it either, right?

The problem with requiring mailing days before upload is the lack of instant
gratification that motivates the NMUer. A delayed upload queue would seem to
fix that, but in practice people seem to get active on fixing RC bugs only
when the 0-day upload period is declared. Someone with more insight on human
mind than I have might have an explanation for that too.

Cheers,
Riku

--
hi