Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:27:31PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 01:26:25AM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:35:24PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > > I believe Ubuntu fills an important gap in the Debian world and as such
>
> > Ubuntu is not part of the Debian world, because it does not share the
> > values that found Debian.
>
> That's kind of a strange position to take, isn't it?  Does this mean that

Why ? Ubuntu never claimed to be part of the Debian world.

> the many users who use Debian directly sheerly on technical excellence
> alone, without sharing Debian's "founding values", are not part of the
> "Debian world"?

I would be surprised to see such users claiming to be part of the Debian
world, and anyway our standards are only relevant to distributions.

>                       For that matter, I don't know of any derivative Debian
> distributions that require their developers to agree to the social contract;
> so by that standard, are *any* of them part of the "Debian world"?

I think at least the Custom Debian distributions qualify at least in intent.

Anyway, this question would be better answered by Raphael, since he is the
one who invented very publicly the expression 'part of the Debian world'.

Cheers,
Bill.