Re: Need for launchpad

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:03:06AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

> However, to the degree that the Ubuntu patches have these sorts of
> gratuitous changes that shouldn't be merged with Debian, the patch
> database quickly becomes useless.  The current patch system is only useful
> if a maintainer can easily review it for changes that should be
> incorporated in Debian, and nothing makes that impossible faster than
> changes like autotools modifications.

I'd hope that when Ubuntu start using HCT[1] we will be able to get a
more useful unpacking of the changes Ubuntu have made.  Right now it
appears that what is published is a lightly processed diff between the
original package and the current Ubuntu version.  The lack of any
native ability to logically organise changes in Debian source pacakges
makes this a lot less useful than it might otherwise be - RPMs are a lot
more straightforward to cherry pick changes from.

Deploying Wig & Pen would also help, of course.

[1] https://wiki.launchpad.canonical.com/HCT