Re: Aptitude question

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:41:25AM +0900, Miles Bader <miles.bader@necel.com> was heard to say:
> Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> writes:
> >   [0] alert readers will note that the caveat "if the user waits for a
> > sufficient amount of time" has to be added here; however, this is typically
> > much less than one second per solution on my hardware.
>
> Er, what _is_ your hardware anyway?  Though I love the aptitude interface
> and functionality, I've noticed that on my home machine (not so fast, but
> not too bad with average software), normal aptitude operation has been
> getting more and more slothlike in recent times, to the point where I often
> just hit ^C to exit after upgrading, instead of waiting ages for all the
> "updating random stuff #11, very slowly... 2%" stuff to finish before I can
> type "q"....

  At the moment I'm using a laptop with a Pentium 4 chip.  When you say that
normal operation is getting slower, do you mean just the load time or its
overall performance?  The time required to load in all the state files is
a bit long, but once they're loaded the program seems to run reasonably
quickly to me.

  The main thing that changed recently that would impact the program's speed
under normal use is the switch to using Unicode internally, which means that
many string manipulations take 4x as long, and input strings (e.g., from
package descriptions) have to be decoded before they're used.

  Daniel