Re: Packet radio and foul language

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:25:11PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Benjamin Seidenberg <astronut@dlgeek.net> writes:
>
> So what's the likelihood that this is actually a problem?  0.00001%?
> 0.00000000001%?

Small, but real.

> In the extremely unlikely event that it is a problem, why should it be
> up to list posters to deal with it?  If some readers use a service
> governed by authorities that are prudish to an absurd degree, it seems
> like the onus is on them to try and deal with the probably technically;
> at the least it's up to them to demonstrate that it is a _real_ issue
> before asking people to modify their behavior based on this.

<slightly extreme example>
The UK authorities can take away my amateur licence and fine me (and
potentially put me in jail) for wilfully breaking the terms of my
licence. My hobby is governed by an international agreement - so
the ITU in Berne could also get involved.
</slightly extreme example>
A schoolfriend and colleague of mine was warned as a teenager:
he swore over the air as he witnessed his friend being run over
in a traffic accident :( You may be held to a higher standard of conduct
than is otherwise normal in more general Real Life when you've
got a microphone in your hand.

> I assume that in truth, you're not really worried about the FCC breaking
> down your door, but rather don't like the language you see, and are
> trying to come up with a less subjective reason to object to it.

No: the 'Net standard language is not always the world's standard
language. Bad language and poor conduct on mailing lists always
happens at some point - that's a given, but you don't have to rebroadcast
it (and shouldn't do so over amateur channels).  It also doesn't help
understanding: being able to disagree without abuse helps people
reading what you're writing. For many of us, English is a <second/third/other
ranked> language and extraneous "stuff" gets in the way of understanding.

> Probably most posters would agree that extreme torrents of abuse are
> annoying and (usually) out of place, but for many speakers mild
> "profanity" is a normal part of informal language; most people
> understand that (even if they don't like it), and deal with it.

Personal views and understanding don't come into it: there's a blanket
ban on profanity, just as there is on broadcasting music of any kind.