Aptitude question

Hello,

I have a question on how aptitude decides which packages
to install to satisfy dependencies. I was installing vtk yesterday
and it depends on xlibmesa-gl | libgl1. Aptitude chose to install
xlibmesa-gl which in turn broke my x-window-system-core
metapackage. However, I was able to manually fix it by
using libglu1-xorg for the dependency (and I needed to downgrade it).

How does aptitude decide which one to choose? Shouldn't it
prefer to do something that won't break other packages? Or should
it ask the user for help?

Jiri Palecek