Re: StrongARM tactics

This one time, at band camp, Thomas Bushnell BSG said:
> Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> writes:
>
> > * Thomas Bushnell BSG [Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:28:43 -0800]:
> >
> >> Well golly gee.  When I sent mail to arm@buildd.debian.org, saying
> >> that packages had failed due to temporarily missing build
> >> dependencies, it was apparently ignored for weeks.  It took the
> >> release manager's involvement to get the build processed.
> >
> >> So no, I frankly don't believe the "what we need is developer help to
> >> debug and fix."
> >
> >   Sigh. "All the trouble that _I_ ever had with the ARM port was that
> >   the buildd maintainer didn't process my request, so it is BLATANTLY
> >   OBVIOUS that no other problems with the ARM port exist. I mean, come
> >   on, I've never been in a situation where more developer help would
> >   have been useful, so I 'frankly believe' such situations do not
> >   exist."
> >
> >     -- Thomas Bushnell BSG.
>
> The mail said "there are lots of packages in maybe-failed state, we
> need help sorting through them."
>
> So I thought back to recent history, when packages I maintain were in
> maybe-failed state on arm, and had sorted through them, identified the
> problem, and sent email.
>
> The email was apparently entirely ignored, for weeks.
>
> So when I hear, "we need people to do task X!" and I did a piece of
> task X, and was simply ignored, I become hesitant to volunteer my time
> to do more of task X.

The buildd maintainer is one of the 'notoriously difficult to reach'
people in Debian.  If you were interested in trying, contacting the
mailing list for the port is the obvious next step.

Instead, you could hold a grudge and complain.  That would be in keeping
with the Debian tradition, after all.

Note: I am not pretending o be personally involved in the ARM port in
any way, and have no strong feelings about it one way or the other.
While it would be sad to lose it, I have to say I haven't been working
on it.  It's just that resonding to a "we need help, and are willing to
take a loss to provide porter hardware in order to get that help" email
with "some guy didn't answer my email, so screw that port" seems a bit
silly and overblown.

Take care,