Re: Documentation of alioth?

[Gack, what a nasty CC line.  Is all that really necessary?]

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 12:23:14PM +0200, Raphaël Hertzog wrote:
> Le vendredi 26 août 2005 à 12:04 +0200, Martin Schulze a écrit :
> > Hi Raphaël,
>
> Hi Joey,
>
> > I'm sorry, but I have to tell you that you're wrong in your assertion.
>
> I've been corrected by Wiggy on IRC too. Although what I said before was
> not invented, I've read part of it in #debian-devel in the mouth of
> Overfiend (Branden)...

Eh?  What exactly did I say?

> It looks like the actual problem is more lack of donors and the fact
> that Branden is not willing to spend money on it.

Actually, I was contacted just very recently by a potential hardware donor
that should have some pretty reasonable iron at its disposal.

I don't rule out cash expenditures on hardware in general, but when we're
seeking entire machines, I'd rather exhaust donation opportunties first.
As far as I can tell, they haven't yet been exhausted.  When we just need
parts, the main thing I need is a proposal that enumerates what is to be
purchased and includes a cost breakdown (or at least a bottom-line figure
including taxes and shipping costs).

I don't categorically rule anything out in the case of an emergency.  It's
been my impression that the situation with alioth is uncomfortable as
opposed to emergent.

> Maybe a brief status of the "hardware donations" people would be nice ?

Yes, I'd love to see such a report myself.  :)

> > Also DSA does not have anything to do with ftpmaster work.  The
> > ftpmaster people organise themselves on their own.

Well, in theory, when a task crosses a lane of responsibility from
ftpmaster to DSA and back, these people do actually communicate with each
other.

(I *did* say "in theory"...)

--
G. Branden Robinson