Re: Documentation of alioth?

Le dimanche 07 août 2005 à 11:39 +0200, Florian Weimer a écrit :
> What's the benefit of diagnosing the problem if it isn't fixed?

It lets people with the required privileges fix the problem without
having to investigate it first.

> Those with sufficient privilege obviously do not read the tracker.

Sure we read it... and no we're not going through it each day. We
receive any "update" and if we see that the problem can be fixed in less
than 2 minutes we usually do it.

Of course, sometime we forget. Of course, sometime we're busy.

> Look, it took me maybe ten minutes to diagnose the problem.  I'm not
> familiar with the system configuration, so I spent most of the time
> looking for the correct configuration file.

I'm not familiar with everything either... I have some admin privileges
but I've not setup Gforge since Roland did that part. I'm not a Gforge
package maintainer either... so my gforge knowledge is limited.

Concerning svn.debian.org and arch.debian.org, wiggy installed this
service first... so again I don't know everything.

> If anyone with the necessary privileges were actually interested in
> maintaining alioth, they would follow the tracker and fix such
> low-hanging fruits immediately.

If life was that easy... please stop whining and see the reality. Many
packages have easy to fix bugs that languishes ... it's the same with
alioth. We appreciate any help... bitching about us doesn't help but
nagging us about simple issues like « please take 2 minutes to fix this:
it's easy look you just have to "..." » is certainly appreciated.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog