Re: "How to recognise different ETCH wishlists from quite a long way away" (revised)

On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 08:25:11AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         This is a huge list, with probably 0 chances of getting
>  accomplished.  How about this: remove every single item from the list,
>  and only add items when there are people who sign up to be responsible
>  for the work involved in actually seeing that item come to fruition?

Errr.. the wishlists with names within brackets are those that have been
taken over by somebody, the ones that don't are up for grabs. This list is
meant as a stimuli for those that do not know what to do with their spare
time (yes, there's a number of DDs in that situation, believe me).

Providing a list of things that need to be worked on, even if not Release
Critical, is a good thing IMHO. It is actually something we have been
lacking for previous releases in which the Release Goals were either
undefined or too vague. I find this list complementary with the pet release
goals set for etch by the release team [1]

>         Mere wishlists by random bystanders are no help to anyone.

Thanks, but I'm not a random bystander. Even if I were, I don't see how a
compiled TODO for the distribution hinders development or rather, as seen
in the previous thread, encourages discussion between developers.

I don't know if the majority of developers thinks, like you do, that these
list is not useful at all. But I can bet you a beer or two that many of the
casual bystanders attending at Debconf5 were not even aware of the
relevance of some of the items in the TODO.

In any case, thanks for your constructive criticism. Ahem.

Javier

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2005/06/msg00241.html