Re: DEBIAN SOCIOLOGICAL STUDY.

On 7/2/05, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:
> * Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-devel@pipeline.com> [2005-07-01 23:34]:
> > > and we are doing a sociological survey on Debian in order to
> > > better understand the Debian community.
> >
> > didn't tbm do some research into this?
>
> Yes and no.  There is currently a lot of interest in free software and
> various researchers study it from their perspectives, e.g. sociology,
> management, economics, software engineering, etc

Biella Coleman has also done some really fascinanting
anthropo/sociological research around FOSS, hacker ethics and Debian.
Some of her papers are published here:
http://www.healthhacker.com/biella/

She's also been teaching at Chicago Uni on the subject of FOSS
communities, and finishing her phd thesis -- of which I've seen some
partial drafts and found really interesting.

Last Debconf she instigated a "let's tell stories of back then"
gathering with Ian, Bdale and others, I captured a bit of that on
video, and she's got all (or most) of it on audio tapes. Dont' know if
it was ever transcribed. I'd love to get my hands on those tapes and
post them somewhere as mp3/ogg.

cheers,

martin