Re: DEBIAN SOCIOLOGICAL STUDY.

* Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-devel@pipeline.com> [2005-07-01 23:34]:
> > and we are doing a sociological survey on Debian in order to
> > better understand the Debian community.
>
> didn't tbm do some research into this?

Yes and no.  There is currently a lot of interest in free software and
various researchers study it from their perspectives, e.g. sociology,
management, economics, software engineering, etc

While my research is about free software, it doesn't seem to be
related to this survey at all.  My own research is generally about
quality assurance and improvement and specifically about release
management as one aspect of quality management.  See
http://www.cyrius.com/research/ for some more details.

For people who're interested to find out what has been published,
http://opensource.mit.edu/ has a fairly large collection of papers and
the proceedings of the workshop on open source engineering are
available at http://opensource.ucc.ie/

Some researchers are quite new to free software and are only starting
to understand how everything works, but others do good work - work
from which the community can benefit.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/