Re: packages missing from sarge

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 11:00:48PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 10:42:43PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 May 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > >How often does a quick NMU that gives a fast improvement in the RC
> > >bugs metric hide the real problem that the maintainer is completely or
> > >partially MIA?
> > Actually what is your opinion how to improve the QA process?
>
> It might sound strange, but I'd suggest to completely disallow NMUs
> without maintainer permission.
>
> This would make it take longer until RC bugs are fixed, but it would
> help on speeding up the finding of maintainers who are for any reason
> not able to properly maintain their packages.

What are we trying to do, then?

Release Debian, or find MIA maintainers? Based on your previous mails, I
thought you wanted the first. That will go a *lot* easier if we don't
have buggy packages anymore, for which NMU's can be helpful under
certain circumstances.

If, however, you are indeed intent on finding MIA maintainers for some
to me obscure reason, then I think it'd be nice if you'd talk to those
people actually doing that work at this moment, to see whether they
agree with you that NMU's make their work harder. My guess is that
you'll find they don't, but then of course I haven't asked either.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond