Re: Debian maintainers and the Launchpad

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 03:09:27PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Allow me to explain a bit about the purpose of this application.
>
> This portion of the Launchpad application, when it is completed, will
> provide a composite index of all of the packages available in Ubuntu and in
> Debian, and link together various information about them.  Each Debian
> package will correspond to a page on the site, and it will display (among
> other information about the package) the name of its maintainer, regardless
> of the status of the package in Ubuntu.
>
> This information will be heavily cross-referenced with other resources, so
> that (for example), a Debian maintainer will be able to visit the site, and
> see all of their packages, which versions are present in various Ubuntu and
> Debian releases, any patches applied in Ubuntu relative to Debian, relevant
> Ubuntu bug reports and other resources.
>
> The purpose of this tool is to allow for more efficient collaboration, both
> within Ubuntu and Debian, and between Ubuntu and Debian.

While this sounds like a very useful tool, AFAIK it is a proprietary
service (for now?), and I wonder whether this clashes with part two of
our social contract, at least with the spirit of it (as Debian obviously
did not write it).

So while it will no doubt be useful to individual developers, whether
Debian as a whole will be able to adopt this cooperate with it (as your
last paragraph suggests: 'within Debian') would need to be discussed at
some point.

cheers,

Michael

--