Re: Debian AMD64 is Debian

"Adam M." <gnuman1@gmail.com> writes:

> Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>>Not necessary. For 'sattrack' for example, I got permission for us to
>>distribute it in Debian. But I don't know if that extends to
>>Debian-AMD64 (an unofficial distribution) and Ubuntu would certainly
>>have to ask for their own permission.
>>

> Actually, non-free is not Debian as well (as far as I recall), but all
> of us consider it part of the Debian project. Honestly, I would consider
> the AMD64 port part of the Debian project since it is a *port* and you
> can find it at http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/ . The only differences
> between non-free and AMD64 non-free is that AMD64 is not part of the
> Debian mirror network (ie. not officially part of Sid/Sarge).

We are not part of Debian. We are not allowed to use certain Debian
resources such as buildd.d.o for buildd logs, access to the incoming
queue for buildds or wanna-build and several other things.

So if Debian itself does not think amd64 is part of it why should the law?

Luckily other parts of Debian are not that subborn and support us none
the less, like package.debian.org or soon cdimage.d.o to name two.

> Anyway, I think if package can be distributed by Debian, it can
> implicitly be distributed by any of the Debian ports, released or not.
>
> - Adam

Legaly we are not Debian. Only once amd64 is added on ftp-master you
can use that argument imho.

MfG
        Goswin