Re: Thoughts about changing Debian's release process

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 08:09:16PM +0200, Torsten Landschoff wrote:

> > > ... and adding users
> > > ... and adding groups
> > > ... and permissions
> > > ... fixing/checking paths
> > > ... and adding links
> > > ... and initialising
> > > ... and fixing scripts
> > > ... and fixing the installation
> > > ... and adding more permissions
> > > ... and monitoring the initialisation
> >
> > All doable.
>
> Yep. The problem is that you need umpteen iterations for the
> installation and you'll end up changing the FAI setup, installing,
> waiting half an hour, testing, doesn't work, change FAI, repeat.
>
> Or you'll fix it up by hand and forget to tell FAI of your manual
> changes to your next iteration will stop at the same position. And yes,
> I have experience with that. Currently I am working on a FAI setup for
> a lab of 10 Linux workstations which used to be manually maintained
> which just eats too much time...

I patched FAI to do on-line updates, i.e. system updates without
reinstallation. See

http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~glaweh/pfai

for details. In the near future, these patches will be merged into
mainstream FAI, so 'softupdate' support will be available there.

Thus, you can shorten your modify-test cycles quite a lot. the only things
not handled by softupdate are (re-)partitioning (doesn't make much sense) and
automatic software _removal_ when its not selected to be installed (I will
work on this when the merge is complete).

--
c u
henning