Re: NEW handling: About rejects, and kernels

Scripsit Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk>
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 01:19:32AM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
>> Scripsit Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk>

>> > One example: with our current package management tools once you've got
>> > an apt source in your configuration the packages it provides will start
>> > to show up in things like searches.

>> It is possible to edit sources.list *after* having defined the
>> packages one needs.

> That's not a static choice, though.

My point is that the choice is not static.

>>                     Also, there is no need to have the entire non-free
>> archive in one's sources.list at any time at all if one uses an
>> installer image that contains the necessary drivers itself.

> Given that one of the reasons hardware vendors use downloads is to make
> it easier for them to provide bug fixes it would be desirable to have
> the ability to track new firmware packages.

Then add an appropriate repository to your sources.list. It's your
choice. You just cannot have your cake and eat it.

>> I *am*, however, opposed to including non-free firmware in main
>> because somebody feels that the non-free archive is not split
>> sufficiently finegrained yet.

> There's slightly more to it than splitting out the firmware section from
> non-free - things like how to handle it in the installer, for example.

Which does not change my point.

--
Henning Makholm                   "We will discuss your youth another time."