Re: NEW handling: About rejects, and kernels

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 11:51:15AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 04:52:58PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > Scripsit md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri)
> >
> > > So it is a problem, because currently it would not be allowed.
> >
> > Where does it say that such images are not allowed?
>
> Our social contract, §1: "We will never make the system depend on an
> item of non-free software".

Given some options:

1. Don't distribute the firmware blob at all;
2. Provide a way to download the blob during install (while admitting
   this won't work if the blob is the code for your ADSL modem);
3. Provide the blob on disk in the regular install media (ie in main);
4. Provide the blob on disk in a special tained installer
   (ie in non-free or a special firmware section).

Which do you think makes the system *depend* less or more on non-free
software? (Depend is the key word.)

Hamish