Re: list what's in the NEW queue?

Hi,

Steve Langasek wrote:
> Increasing the rate at which new packages flow into unstable is NOT
> something that should be a priority when we're trying to get the RC bug
> count down in preparation of a release.  Show me that there are enough
> people working on release-critical issues for sarge, which requires no
> imprimatur from the DPL, before you start throwing packages that have never
> even been tested by their maintainer at us faster than we already get them.

Ah. Nice. So you want to let the users not have myspell-nl, myspell-he
and openoffice.org-thesaurus-de? These packages *were* tested and are
just additional binary packages. The maintainer scripts are the same
everytime so no news there also. They simply could not be packaged
before for different reasons.

Oh, and you would like to keep koffice and kde's i18n out of sync with
their apps? (both lie in NEW where the current versions - 3.3.2 and
3.1.5 - are now in sarge).

Another example:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=291859. The mechanism
and file location etc *is* tested. If Aurelien does not include that
I would need a new binary package or a crude hack in the "openoffice"
wrapper script (of which I like the own package depending on openclipart
better). Guess what? This of course has to go through NEW and so the
users who rightfully complain that there are not much ClipArt for OOo
won't have have the possibility to have opcnlipart integrated with OOo's
gallery. In sarge.
(Update: it will be added in openclipart..)

Just a few examples...

I agree with you that letting random fully new packages in is not the
best but with packages already having source in the archive that's a bit
different. Or with packages needed in sarge because users need it
and which are low risk.

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73