Re: Always run dpkg --dry-run -i before running dpkg -i!

Sebastian Ley <sebastian.ley@mmweg.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> * Adam Heath wrote:
>
>> It *may* require a versioned depends on a newer version, but that's just a
>> normal bug.
>
> ...and no reason to introduce this dependency in the -source package.

And a Depends in the -source package would change nothing:

1. install -source
2. build -module
3. remove source + depends
4. install -module blindly with dpkg -i

same problem

or build the -module on system A and install on system B.

I'm not going to build kernel and -module packages on my P200 if I can
just as well, but far faster, build them on my 2Ghz amd64.

> Btw: Leaving old packages build from -source packages around would quite well
> do the trick. But I suppose W.B. wants to call more people assholes before
> invoking brain functions...
>
> *sigh*
>
> Sebastian

MfG