Re: Ignoring the truth or Hiding problems? (was: Are mails sent to xxxx <at> buildd.debian.org sent to /dev/null ?)

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:18:21AM -0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 05, 2005 10:05 AM, Ingo Juergensmann
> <ij@2005.bluespice.org> wrote:
>
> [...]
> > When Joerg Jaspert is already doing the dirty daily work, why does
> > James still needs in place then? (Except he just stays in that
> > position for a transitional period until Joerg is taking over that
> > task and job completely. I would recommend that transitional period
> > for other positions as well.)
>
> aiui, because James - or presumably some other member of -admin - needs to
> create the accounts once an nm has been approved (newsamosa, aka db.d.o is
> restricted).
>
> The most time-consuming part of DAM work is approving applicatants, which is
> what Joerg is now doing. afaics, once an applicant is approved, accounts are
> being created relatively quickly; so far it appears to be working well.

Speaking as someone who has railed (more than once) against the
six-to-twelve-month waiting period between "AM approval" and "DAM review
complete" (as noted, once DAM approval was had, accounts happened
without perceptible delay), all I will say is the following:

1) Time will tell if this helps enough

2) So far, it looks promising

3) So long as James is considered valuble and useful by the people doing
   the work (presumably including himself), *and the work is getting
   done*, I don't much care how many positions he holds.

It's the whole "getting done" thing that seemed to be suffering from his
state as a multiple-path single point of failure, and "small teams" is, in
my opinion, a vastly better answer than "multiple single-path single points
of failure", even if the latter is still better than the situation as it
appeared to be in the past.

My only other wish is that some of the teams had a bit more transparency,
or at least had it more consistantly (some FTPmaster folks are pretty good
about this, and others aren't, but it appears to be the luck of the draw,
at least from outside the black box, as to what you get, for one notable
example - and this may well have nothing to do with James whatsoever, at
least on any personal level).
--
Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org>                                       ,''`.
                                                                     : :' :