Re: New stable version after Sarge

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 03:41:41PM +0100, Christoph Berg wrote:

 > ...which Debian provides for its stable distribution at any time,
 > even if the last stable release was ages ago. How does a fixed
 > release date help there?

 Besides Florian's point, you have to consider that Debian needs people
 actually testing what's going to be released.  And many of the people
 doing the testing, are doing it because they want to have something
 reliable that they can use at their "work"place (however "work" is
 defined here).  But at some point they just can't take that "let's use
 a Desktop environment which is two years old and has significant
 usability bugs which were fixed a year ago" anymore and they go away.
 So Debian hurts itself at the end of the day.

 So, no, a fixed date doesn't help.  A release schedule does.  (And no
 "we will release in two years time" is not a release schedule in this
 context).

 Marcelo