Re: RunDinstallHourly

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 08:08:47PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Ken Bloom wrote:
> > http://wiki.debian.net/?RunDinstallHourly (part of the ReleaseProposals
> > topic on wiki.debian.net) discusses the concept of speeding up the release
> > process by running dinstall hourly instead of once per day. This seems (to
> > my amateur eyes) like a technically simple change to make even before we
> > release Sarge (barring any unforseen consequences). Would it be possible
> > to start testing this proposal out now by increasing the frequency of
> > dinstall, perhaps to once every 6 hours until release?

> I've talked about this with James Troup before. He seemed pretty
> receptive to speeding it up to something like twice a day, didn't seem
> to feel it would hit the mirrors much worse. It's possible he may still
> be waiting on SCC splitting up the base set of arches or the like before
> revisiting this.

> (BTW, please note that when I or this proposal talks about the "dinstall
> run", we're using the circa 1998 definition that includes "mirror sync".
> The dinstall program itself aready runs every 15 minutes.)

Twice daily seems more reasonable to me than hourly; for release purposes,
another factor is how often britney runs, since that's what triggers changes
in the testing suite.  Doubling the frequency of britney runs seems
reasonable to me, but hourly would surely be overkill considering we would
still want to keep the waiting periods as they are now.

Anthony Towns has been playing with the testing scripts this week, giving
the release team the ability to do by-hand runs of britney now.  This gives
us more flexibility in catching our own oversights that would otherwise push
bits of testing improvements back by 24 hours at a time.  This has already
directly contributed to getting KDE 3.3 into testing as soon as we did -- if
the dip in the sarge RC bug count is any indication, this looks like a step
in the right direction.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer