Re: New stable version after Sarge

Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> >At least that's been the case including sarge.  Hence, such
> >a sentence would not mean anything.
> >
> >>I can understand something like "Debian releases when it's ready", but
> >>many people have to work together. Maybe it's better to say: "a package
> >>releases when it's ready, but the deadline for the next Debian release
> >>is a fixed date".
> >
> >What if the installer is broken at that time?
>
> Normally a broken installer does not come into testing (ehm, I don't
> know for sure the installer is a normal package).

During the preparation of sarge there was a long time where the
installer didn't work as it should have.  Go read the archives.

> For me, installing was never a big problem. You can use an old installer
> and update. And a special installation (e.g. on soft-raid) you can
> install first somewhere else and then copy it.

Installing an old version and upgrading to the current one is
completely out of discussion for a release.  You can always do that
with stable and testing.

If you can't install a stable release, it's broken.  (Not to compare
this with a failed installation of a super-mega-new piece of hardware
that isn't supported by the kernel yet).

> >What if the buildd network is busted at that time?
> >What if n library transitions are in progress at that time?
> >What if our archive suite lacks an important improvement which
> >   is a requirement for being able to maintain the new stable
> >   release?
>
> When there is a fixed deadline you can plan such things better to be
> ready for the new release.

Go read the archives.  All three issues have happened  during the last
12 months altough sarge was supposed to "be released in December".

> >Oh I forgot:
> >
> >What if security support for a new release cannot be guaranteed at
> >   that time?
>
> Same answer.

Go read the archives.  That's something that has delayed the woody
release and is delaying the release of sarge.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Life is a lot easier when you have someone to share it with.  -- Sean Perry