Re: New make is breaking several packages

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

> Daniel Schepler <schepler@math.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hopefully this will work on both versions, but again I don't have easy access
>> to an old make to test it.  There's also the suggestion elsewhere in the
>> thread to put the script in a make variable instead.
>
> I really think that the maintainers of a central package like make, be
> it upstream or you,

Sorry that i didn't check this - I thought that you, Daniel, were the
make maintainer (thanks Adeodato).  The rest of my statement still
holds,

> should consider such a change thoroughly and in fact
> test alternatives *before* the release or upload.  And a sarge or even
> woody pbuilder chroot is just a couple of commands away.  Probably you
> can even install sarge's make_...deb in a sid or etch chroot.

But now I should add that they should also communicate the alternatives
for writing Makefiles that work with old and new makes.  NEWS.gz and
NEWS.Debian.gz both have an entry about the change, both point to the
info file (to two different nodes that I cannot find with that exact
names), and at the place where I think I'm referred to only the new
behavior is explained...

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster