Re: New make is breaking several packages

Daniel Schepler <schepler@math.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Hopefully this will work on both versions, but again I don't have easy access
> to an old make to test it.  There's also the suggestion elsewhere in the
> thread to put the script in a make variable instead.

I really think that the maintainers of a central package like make, be
it upstream or you, should consider such a change thoroughly and in fact
test alternatives *before* the release or upload.  And a sarge or even
woody pbuilder chroot is just a couple of commands away.  Probably you
can even install sarge's make_...deb in a sid or etch chroot.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich