Re: switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?

Riku Voipio <rvoipio+debian@movial.fi> wrote:
> While I'm a addicted vim user, the build-dependencies of vim(-tiny)
> is a bit scary for a base package. While we do not have requirements
> of base packages of being easily buildable, changing to vim-tiny
> will make bootstrapping a basic debian system again a little bit
> harder.

> nvi:

> Build-Depends: debhelper, libncurses5-dev

> vs

> vim-tiny:

> Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 4.2.21), dpkg (>> 1.7.0), bzip2, perl (>= 5.6), libgpmg1-dev [!hurd-i386] | not+linux-gnu, libperl-dev (>= 5.6), tcl8.4-dev [!hurd-i386] | tcl8.3-dev [!hurd-i386], python-dev, libncurses5-dev, ruby, ruby1.8-dev | ruby-dev, libgtk2.0-dev (>= 2.2) | libgtk1.2-dev, libgnomeui-dev [!hurd-i386], lesstif2-dev

As Joey already remarked moving vim to base has no effect on
bootstrapping, because it does change _when_ in the process vim is
built.

However, the nvi is evidently a lot simpler than vim and less likely
both to show from rc-bugs to suffer from being kept out of testing due
to rc-bugs in its build-depencies. This might make a difference the
base-freeze slightly more difficult.
               cu andreas

--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute