Re: switching to vim-tiny for standard vi?

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 12:36:31PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> If vim-tiny does have a significant feature advantage over nvi, then
> yeah, that makes sense. Since I'm not a vim user, I can't guess how
> many vim users will start vim-tiny and almost immediately wonder "where
> the fsck is foo; oh yeah, need to install vim". If that number is
> "most of them", then defaulting to vim-tiny over nvi is not a win. Of
> course, that doesn't make it a loss, either, if the size difference is
> negligible. Perhaps asking over on debian-boot with the actual numbers
> might make sense.

I'd much rather have to use a system with vim and my .vimrc installed, but
lacking a few "big" features like syntax highlighting, than have to use
nvi.  For me, it's a clear win: at least I can edit files.  I'm probably
a fairly typical vim user.

--
Glenn Maynard