Re: New make is breaking several packages

Quoting Daniel Schepler (schepler@math.berkeley.edu):

> > It breaks a widely used feature. Why should this change not be
> > considered a make bug?
>
> In make's NEWS.Debian.gz it says this change was for POSIX compliance.  And
> since there's the simple way to rewrite these things that I outlined, I think
> it's better to make our debian/rules and Makefiles compliant than to revert
> this change.

Well, my first reaction is that this should have been coordinated or
at the very minimum announced to -devel, which is not *only* a flaming
mailing list..:)

I even think that -devel-announce would have been appropriate.

No offense intended for the maintainer, whoever it might be....