Re: New make is breaking several packages

Le Mardi 20 Décembre 2005 14:10, Marco d'Itri a écrit :
> On Dec 20, Daniel Schepler <schepler@math.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> > This is due to changes in make 3.80+3.81.b3-1 concerning how the lines
> > are passed to the shell.  Previously, they would be concatenated; now
> > they are passed verbatim to the shell, backslashes and newlines included
> > (minus the first tab on each line).
>
> It breaks a widely used feature. Why should this change not be
> considered a make bug?

In make's NEWS.Debian.gz it says this change was for POSIX compliance.  And
since there's the simple way to rewrite these things that I outlined, I think
it's better to make our debian/rules and Makefiles compliant than to revert
this change.
--
Daniel Schepler