Re: /run vs /var/run

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:18:29AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Anthony Towns]
> > I note the FHS's limited definition of /lib (essential libraries and
> > kernel modules) is already incorrect for /lib/udev,
> > /lib/lsb/init-functions, /lib/linux-sound-base, /lib/terminfo,
> > /lib/alsa, /lib/alsa-utils, /lib/discover and /lib/init.
> I did not look closely at the others, but /lib/lsb/init-functions is a
> library of shell functions, and /lib/terminfo/ is a library of
> terminal definitions.  Both are essential for the function of several
> systems in Debian.  So I find at least these within the definitions of
> the FHS.

Sorry, I was paraphrasing above. The actual definition is "Essential
shared libraries and kernel modules", and "The /lib directory contains
those shared library images needed to boot the system and run the commands
in the root filesystem, ie. by binaries in /bin and /sbin."

Shared library image seems a pretty clear reference to .so files, and
binaries is usually used to talk about ELF executables as opposed to
scripts ("executables" being the general term).

/lib is the right place for the above, and the FHS's too-limited
definition is wrong. To my mind, /lib also seems the right place for a
/run directory.

Note the definition for /usr/lib is "Libraries for programming and
packages" and "/usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal
binaries that are not intended to be executed directly by users or
shell scripts." and /var/lib is "Variable state information" and "This
hierarchy holds state information pertaining to an application or the
system. State information is data that programs modify while they run,
and that pertains to one specific host."

Combining these two, and adding the "...needed to boot the system"
qualifier seems like it would perfectly cover the above requirements
and /run.

Cheers,
aj