Re: Size matters. Debian binary package stats

* Steinar H. Gunderson:

> My comments are about the same as on IRC:
>
>   - Disk space is cheap, bandwidth is cheap.

Depends.  Decent IP service costs a few EUR per gigabyte in most parts
of the world.

> Thus, anything sacrificing lots of human power and CPU power to save on disk
> or bandwidth just doesn't make sense.

My main concern is that changing the compression algorithm alone
optimizes for the wrong case (initial install), which you can do from
CD anyway if you are bandwidth-starved.  Delta compression for .debs
would be far more interesting, I guess, but I have no idea how to
implement them in a sane way. 8-/