Re: Packaging swftools for Debian

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 10:36:38AM +0200, Simo Kauppi wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 08:56:29AM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 09:24:25AM +0200, Simo Kauppi wrote:

>>> Are there any obvious reasons why swftools can't/shouldn't be
>>> packaged for Debian?

>> Nobody has done it, that's the main reason. The RFP/ITP log says it
>> contains patent-encumbered code; one would have to remove it before
>> uploading to Debian.

> Did you notice there something else than the L.A.M.E issue. Lame can
> be disabled at build time, so I guess that wouldn't prevent
> packaging it (and maybe naming the Debian package
> 'swftools-nolame').

No, you have to _remove_ the offending code. Not only "disable it at
build-time", but not ship it at all, also not in the
source. Distributing infringing source code, not only infringing
binaries, is an infringement to the patent. (The right mailing list
for discussing this particular point is debian-legal@lists.debian.org)

>> You may want to do it yourself; see
>> http://www.debian.org/devel/join/

> I will :) If not for anything else, I'll package it just for my own
> use.

Please consider contributing it to the "common pot"; you get a fairly
complete system from the common pot, if you are able to incrementally
make the system better and "give back", it will be
appreciated. (That's a very personal position of mine and no official
line of Debian.)

--
Lionel