Re: Packaging swftools for Debian

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 03:21:41PM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 10:36:38AM +0200, Simo Kauppi wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 08:56:29AM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> >> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 09:24:25AM +0200, Simo Kauppi wrote:
>
> > Did you notice there something else than the L.A.M.E issue. Lame can
> > be disabled at build time, so I guess that wouldn't prevent
> > packaging it (and maybe naming the Debian package
> > 'swftools-nolame').
>
> No, you have to _remove_ the offending code. Not only "disable it at
> build-time", but not ship it at all, also not in the
> source. Distributing infringing source code, not only infringing
> binaries, is an infringement to the patent. (The right mailing list
> for discussing this particular point is debian-legal@lists.debian.org)

Sorry for being a little vague. What I meant was that it uses liblame
library by default and that dependency can be disabled at build time.

My understanding is that there is no offending code in the swftools
itself (at least I haven't noticed any, but I have to double check :)

So, by disabling lame, it compiles and runs without users needing to
install any non-free software (the liblame library). The only drawback
is, that two of its binaries, avi2swf and wav2swf, cannot be used. Since
it has many other useful tools, I would like to see a Debian package
from it anyway.

> >> You may want to do it yourself; see
> >> http://www.debian.org/devel/join/
>
> > I will :) If not for anything else, I'll package it just for my own
> > use.
>
> Please consider contributing it to the "common pot"; you get a fairly
> complete system from the common pot, if you are able to incrementally
> make the system better and "give back", it will be
> appreciated. (That's a very personal position of mine and no official
> line of Debian.)

I definitely want to give something back to the community :) after many
years of "just" using Debian. I have already read a lot of documentation
about becoming a new maintainer and my plan is to make the
swftools-nolame package so, that I disable lame and modify the
configuration so that wav2swf and avi2swf are not built.

BTW: This is probably a stupid question (and probably belongs to the
debian-legal), but how does one remove the offending code from the
original source? I mean, I understood from the Debian Policy, that files
must not deleted.  So, does one just delete the code and leave an empty
file? But in that case, doesn't the code still show up in the diff file?

> --
> Lionel

Simo
--