Re: package name changes in atlas-cpp (was Re: library renaming due to changed libstdc++ configuration)

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 09:10:58PM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Wednesday 30 November 2005 22:00, Michael Koch wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 08:08:15PM +0100, Stephan Hermann wrote:
> > > Well, I will try to revert the change, no problem. But even for
> > > libatlas-cpp-0.6 there was a soname change (if you see this bugreport
> > > about the rename of libatlas-cpp-0.5) and there was no need to rename
> > > libatlas-cpp-0.6 because the soname change was introduced by a new
> > > upstream source.
> > >
> > > When I got the merge report into my hands for libatlas-cpp-0.6, there was
> > > no renaming in rev 1, so I had to add c2a as soname change. I just saw
> > > too late, that there was a rev 2 of this package, and in this rev a
> > > renaming was made.
> > >
> > > At the time of the merge, I was right. There is now a difference between
> > > ubuntu and debian. I'm sorry for that, but I don't change it right now.
> > > If there is a new upstream of atlas-cpp, we can try to bring the two
> > > packages again in sync.
> >
> > Sorry for the trouble I made. My fault to not correctly reread the
> > transition mail again before doing the actual transition of atlas-cpp.
> > It's clearly my bug. What shall I do now? Rename the binary packages
> > again? Wait for a new upstream version (0.6.0) which changes the SONAME
> > again? 0.6.0rc2 is already out.
>
> Don't worry :) If new 0.6.0 upstream source will change the soname and the
> package is named to libatlas-cpp-0.7 then you can just conflicts/replaces to
> libatlas-cpp-0.6, libatlas-cpp-0.6c2, libatlas-cpp-0.6c2a, so ubuntu can sync
> it directly without any problems. we are then in sync again and avoid any
> serious troubles during updates.

It will be named libatlas-cpp-0.6-1. Just its interface version is
changed.

> Actually what you can also do is to follow Matthias Kloses post from
> 2005-11-14 about the libstdc++ new allocator transition. You actually need to
> rename libatlas-cpp-0.6c2 to c2a so we are in sync as well..
> If you want I can send you an accurate debdiff.
>
> Any objections?

I dont mind what the solution of this problem is finally choosen. My
Problem is that I made the same fault with wfmath and cal3d.

I would like a vote from a RM about this. Steve ?

Cheers,
Michael