Re: master's mail backlog and upgrade time

    >> So if I have my system say `250' to a piece of mail, I'm guaranteeing
    >> that either I'll bounce it (and get a `250' on the bounce), or that
    >> some human (me or someone else I know) will read it.

    Stephen> Sure, so say '250' and then bounce it if you want to
    Stephen> later.  That's basically the *point* here.  master's
    Stephen> forwarding the mail for you, you should accept it and
    Stephen> then you can decide to either read it yourself or bounce
    Stephen> it.  You do *not* need master to bounce it for you!

Are you saying you should bounce SPAM mail???

Where do you bounce it to? The forged senders email address?

Alternatively, you could redirect the mail to >/dev/null, but then the
poster of a genuine email doesn't know his mail didn't get through.

Yes, in this case the mail would bounce anyway, but I think the
solution is to improve the SPAM checking on master, and not accept the
mail in the first place.

Yes, you could probably make mail from master.debian.org bypass SMTP
level SPAM controls, but taken to the extreme, you would have to also
do this to every server that forwards you email (perhaps even every
mailing list server?).
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>